Microsoft’s best collaboration tool
Microsoft Teams is a chat-based collaboration platform aimed at businesses and startups of all sizes. This powerful and reliable software brings together remote teams, offering a single online workplace to communicate, collaborate and share files in real-time. You can download Teams both as a standalone application or as part of the Microsoft 365 subscription service. This makes it very easy to access any file or project created with any software included in the Microsoft Office productivity suite and share them through the Teams platform.
One of MS Teams key features is its ability to host audio, video and web conferences with anyone outside of an organization. The software allows you to create meetings from 10 to 10000 Teams users, as well as one-to-one chats with Skype users. This makes Teams a great choice for anyone looking for a fast, reliable and responsive collaboration tool to keep your crew in contact.
How does Microsoft Teams work?
Teams lets you create a shared workspace with ease where you can collaborate with your in-house and remote teams. Using the platform is very easy, to get started all you need to download Microsoft Teams and install the desktop app to your PC. And if you prefer working through the Cloud? No worries, you can access Teams through Microsoft 365. Once you’ve done this, simply log in to Teams using your Microsoft account. If you don’t have one, you can get yours here for free.
Once logged in, Teams will welcome you by letting you create a new team or join your workmates in an existing one. With its simple interface, it’s straightforward to navigate through all the information shared in each group. You’ll see each team is divided into various workrooms or channels. These hold all the information, files and resources on the different topics and projects.
Every channel offers you a wide range of tools to interact with the rest of your colleagues. These include chatting, sharing documents and files from your computer or OneDrive, as well as granting you access to any tool included in Microsoft 365. But that’s not all, because from Teams you can also participate in online meetings and video conferences. To do so, you only need to schedule one through the platform and invite team members to join. These meetings can include up to a total of 10000 users and boast useful features such as screen sharing, recording the meeting and real-time collaboration tools.
What key features does Microsoft Teams have?
The MS Teams platform brings together multiple tools to help teams work more efficiently online. These are its main features:
- Channels: From the workspace interface you can build channels for each project, making it easier to organize work and access the information each team is looking for.
- Chat and messaging system: Teams provides a chat environment for groups to communicate and share files in real-time.
- Video and audio conferences: The software includes a powerful video and audio calling feature, enabling users to hold meetings of up to 10000 users at once. You can also easily record the meetings and create transcripts from them.
- Task management: Teams is the perfect tool for scheduling a project, since it lets you assign tasks, set a deadline for them and track their progress.
- Collaboration: You can share all types of files and work on them in real-time with your team members.
- Integration with Microsoft and third-party apps: Teams lets users connect to other Microsoft and third-party app services such as Twitter, ServiceNow, Trello, Jira, Adobe Creative Cloud or GitHub.
- Security and Compliance: Microsoft Teams includes a vast range of security measures to ensure conversations and project files are always kept private. These include data encryption, access controls, data loss prevention and multi-factor authentication.
What version of Microsoft Teams should I download?
Teams offers different client versions, making it the perfect software for any collaboration project. No matter what platform you're on, you’ll find a version that will suit you. If you’re a Windows user, you can download Microsoft Teams using its standalone desktop client or access the software without the need to install anything thanks to Microsoft 365. Apple users will also be able to download Microsoft Teams for mac. Finally, MS Teams also has an app both for Android and iOS devices, letting users connect with their projects on the go.
Additionally, the program receives regular updates, which include new features and functionalities. Recently, the company has introduced several new features, including the call recording button. In case you face any issues, you can reach the customer support via multiple channels, including live chat, email, and more.
Microsoft Teams Vs Skype. Which one to use?
Both Teams and Skype for Business are communication platforms developed by Microsoft that businesses and companies around the world use to keep their workers in touch. While both allow video calls, Microsoft Teams has many more features and is capable of much larger scale events such as hosting huge webinars.
Even if at first they might look like similar apps, they have some key differences:
- Teams was designed as an online workplace and its primary function is to collaborate between different teams and groups of people. Skype is focused on offering a chat, voice and video call service amongst users.
- Teams forte is in its collaboration tools, such as real-time document editing, file sharing, project management and the ability to hold meetings with a large number of participants. On the other hand, Skype focuses on bringing stable and high quality voice and video calls as well as offering services such as screen sharing.
- Microsoft Teams is aimed at businesses and offers a better selection of tools to manage your projects. In fact, Microsoft has recently substituted its Skype for Business services for Teams.
Overall, if you’re a business looking for a reliable app to connect, communicate and collaborate remotely, Teams is the obvious choice.
Can I download Microsoft Teams for free?
Yes, you can! You don’t need to pay for a pricey collaboration tool such as SharePoint or Microsoft 365 to use Teams. While there is a paid version of the platform, Teams lets small businesses access its services just by having a free Microsoft account.
The free version of Teams includes all the collaboration tools that make this app great. You’ll be able to create workspaces, channels, chat, collaborate in real-time, start video and voice calls and hold meetings. However, you’ll only be able to add up 300 participants instead of the 10,000 available in the paid version. Another downside of the free version is that you won’t have access to the full set of integrations for the platform or have access to all the advanced security measures.
The go-to collaboration tool
Microsoft Teams is a powerful and reliable collaboration platform that helps teams to manage projects without the need to physically be in the same location. It allows you to communicate, meet, collaborate and share content with team workers from all around the world. Its integration with Microsoft 365 and a vast selection of third-party services makes it one of the most versatile collaboration tools on the market. Also, its clear interface and shallow learning curve make it perfect for any kind of user. Best of all, it’s free! If you’re looking to create an online workplace to bring projects to life, you should definitely download Microsoft Teams.